He was
tired. He sat down. I sat down beside him. And, after a little silence, he
spoke again:
"The
stars are beautiful, because of a flower that cannot be seen."
I
replied, "Yes, that is so." And, without saying anything more, I
looked across the ridges of sand that were stretched out before us in the
moonlight.
"The
desert is beautiful," the little prince added.
And
that was true. I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand
dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs,
and gleams . . .
"What
makes the desert beautiful," said the little prince, "is that
somewhere it hides a well . . ."
I was
astonished by a sudden understanding of that mysterious radiation of the sands.
When I was a little boy I lived in an old house, and legend told us that a
treasure was buried there. To be sure, no one had ever known how to find it;
perhaps no one had ever even looked for it. But it cast an enchantment over
that house. My home was hiding a secret in the depths of its heart . . .
"Yes,"
I said to the little prince. "The house, the stars, the desert--what gives
them their beauty is something that is invisible!"
"I
am glad," he said, "that you agree with my fox."
![]() |
| Little Prince |

No comments:
Post a Comment